Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Back to school

I go back to college today for the last module I'm taking this year - 'Abstracting the Landscape'. We're going to start with re-visiting the photo montage work of David Hockney so I've been keeping a note of things I come across that might inform my understanding of the process. This marvellous film does not meet that expectation but it does fascinate me on another level. If you follow the vimeo link to the rest of the work by Philip Scott Johnson there are some great examples of how he morphs photos into almost 'stream of consciousness' films. Another favourite was the self portraits of Van Gogh but this is a great one to start with.


By the way, if I seem to be posting nothing more than films recently it's not that I am idle. Most of the things that occupy my day are making postcards for the Postmans Knock project and they cannot be shown for obvious reasons or lying in wait for the rabbit that is destroying my strawberries..... and when the sun shines the garden calls.....





Women In Art from Philip Scott Johnson on Vimeo.

6 comments:

Gina said...

Fascinating stuff! Do you know I am holding you personally responsible for sending me off on hours of distraction on the internet. Have spent a large part of the morning exploring the work of Dionne Swift after your comment on my blog - wonderful inspiring work! (I don't mind really!) Have fun at college today.

Jee said...

Hadn't come across Vimeo before - made me think of the sink cleaning stuff of my youth, but it's really great thank you. My PK postcard is done at last so I can breathe again until Friday and get on with boring housework etc.

menopausalmusing said...

Hope collecge was fun... I think you are responsible for a lot of us going off on rambles round Youtube/Vimeo..... (No bad thing, it has to be said!)

Jill said...

Totally hypnotising - had to keep looking to see how many I recognised. Well spotted again Lesley. I had a little go at some photo montaging a la David H. when I got my first little point and shoot. Made me REALLY appreciate the master's skill - he is a fave of mine. Will be interested to hear how you get on.

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello:
We have been completely mesmerised [we trust not hypnotised] by this absolutely beguiling little film. So clever, and the women seem to really take on lives of their own from the screen. We have never seen anything like it before and nor, to our shame, have we seen any of the work of Philip Scott Johnson before, so this has been a double treat.

We have discovered your blog quite by chance and have been totally captivated by your most interesting, informative and highly individual posts. We look forward to returning.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Absolutely hypnotic and so very beautiful Lesley. Thank you for yet another gem - his work is totally original.

I hope you are enjoying your course, and the garden when you get a chance. Has the strawberry-munching rabbit been dissuaded from venturing onto your patch?!!

Jeanne
x