
These magnificent insects spend 1-3 years in the larval stage under water and emerge to survive one brief summer when they have to mate and ensure the cycle starts all over again. Sadly, this beautiful Broad-bodied Chaser will not be leaving any such legacy as my husband found him this afternoon, prostrate on the grass.

I'm afraid I have a bit of a 'thing' for dead birds and insects so he brought him back for me and I 'posed' him on the leaf much to my husband's amusement. What will I do with him? I don't know yet but I will look after him most carefully. He is too beautiful to be left to rot and I will probably draw him first before deciding on his final resting place. A sad reminder of the transitory nature of things but too wonderful to ignore.
9 comments:
Oh Lesley! You must have just posted this a minute ago. I too have seen one of these close up and they truly are WONDERFUL. One flew inside the conservatory where I was working about three years ago and I rushed to borrow a camera. What a shame your one did not survive.
Amazing the detail on something so tiny isn't it? Poor little chap looks as if he may have had one too many before he went on the town and got his girl!! Sad.
What a beautiful creature. I would have kept him too.
Sad to find him dead but what a wondeful opportunity to see those wings up close. Beautiful.
It is so frustrating, but natures loss is the keen collectors gain. XX
He's beautiful - I can see why you have kept him.
Stunning! I've never seen the male before - we had a female emerge from our 'Dragonfly Pond' the other year (females have a golden brown body).
I would have kept him too (alongside all the other treasures on my studio shelf!
Celia
Let's hope he'd had an earlier date. I would keep him too, and although sad, what a wonderful opportunity for close-up photography and drawing.
What wonderful photos! The last one in stunning -- I love it. I've just perused several of your posts. Always such interesting topics to be found here. Thank you Lesley
Post a Comment