Saturday, 21 May 2011

Busy days

In recent weeks I seem to have been offline more than I've been online. That's been down to a combination of things - a new laptop with gremlins and teething problems and other creative commitments. My husband had a week's holiday booked ages ago and we had no concrete plans but we decided to take off on the spur of the moment last week and catch up with relatives in Bristol and Bath whilst taking in a couple of exhibitions that I'd earmarked as wanting to see if I got the chance. Well, in a whistle stop two days we crammed in lots of things and I don't want to bore you with lots of photos so here are a few highlights.... (believe me, you've been let off lightly...)
First stop was the Fashion Museum in Bath, somewhere I'd always hankered to visit. In truth I was a tad disappointed but I think that had a lot to do with the hoards of screaming French school children that were running all over the place. It served to remind me that I don't like too much noise in a confined space. It was hard to concentrate on the information panels and the low light didn't help matters much. The main exhibition focussed on wedding dresses through the ages not surprisingly and some of them were very beautiful, but also very much of their time. Also on display is a previously unseen archive collection of sepia photographs of 1930's wedding dresses by the Paris couture house of Worth. These were beautiful and displayed wonderful designs and workmanship. They certainly did things in style then.

As far as style goes however, I think I missed that gene when it was given out at birth. The museum holds the 'dress of the year' from way back when and they are all displayed in their glory. The dress above is 2010's offering but the only one I remembered seemed to have a lot of shoulder pads in..... now don't tell me that doesn't put me in a very clear 1980's timeline.....
For the first time this year the museum is showing some of its historic collections in a 'Behind the Scenes' display. There were a series of chronological installations showcasing fashions from different eras and the thing that struck me most was how petite the wearers must have been and how much effort they put into their daily dressing. The clothes clearly showed that most people, particularly the ladies, were quite short. They also had very narrow and very small feet which they forced into some very glamorous shoes.


Although I am not a shoe lover , in that I do not have Imelda Marcos sized collections of them, I do find their design and construction quite fascinating. There were lots of beaded and embroidered designs to pore over and I took loads of photos. Sadly, I must have had the shakes when taking a photo of my favourite pair and I cannot share the image of a stilettoed open shoe made with the thinnest, clearest thread by Ferragamo back in the 1950's for some famous actress. They were amazing but probably ruined her feet!

Fighting through the crowds on the streets of Bath (I do not jest....) we headed off to the newly re-opened Holbourne Museum, the main object of our visit. After a three year re-fit and the build of a new extension the museum re-opened last weekend with an exhibition of the collections and work of Sir Peter Blake. This was quite simply, wonderful. I bought the accompanying book to the exhibition and I am saving the pleasure of opening and reading it. As an inveterate hoarder of what other people see as 'tat' I realised that I am a mere amateur in comparison to Sir Peter. Years of accumulated items were on display alongside recent and earlier collage and sculptural works. If you love the unusual this is a must see exhibition . It made me feel it was OK to keep all those things that other people would just throw out.... like my collection of Coronation memorabilia, all my Ladybird books, those empty tins of boil plasters I've been saving to use for something 'one day'.....etc , etc, etc

Before we headed home yesterday we visited Lacock, the National Trust village that has doubled up as Cranford and Merriton for the BBC. Who can forget Colin Firth as Mr D'Arcy striding down the main street in that memorable Pride and Prejudice of 1995? Well, I knew I wouldn't see Mr D'Arcy or Miss Matty but I did want to see the exhibition that is currently on in the Fox Talbot Museum by Jessica Ferguson who creates small vignettes and then photographs them with a pinhole camera. This is something I long to try. I was booked onto a workshop last year which was cancelled due to a lack of interest. I was so disappointed about that and this has just whetted my appetite to look for another somewhere. I so want to try this.

Images can take up to a few hours to be exposed and they are then printed using traditional methods such as cyanotype or salt printing. The images on display were so intriguing. If there had been any sun here today I would have got the solution out and made some cyanotype prints but we are enjoying some of the rain that the garden needs so I'll have to put that plan on hold. Besides, I am tired after all the activity of the last few days. Why does life have to be all famine or all feast? - just like this blog.... nothing for weeks and then 'War and Peace'! If you've fallen asleep by now I apologise!

10 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Not asleep at all - it all sounds fascinating. Must check out that second museum myself some day. Glad to hear that you have had some much needed rain but glad it wasn't last weekend!!

menopausalmusing said...

The Fashion Museum was also a disappointment to me too (the only time I went!). The Peter Blake exhibition sounds like a "must"..... Sounds like you have had a great week.

Jane Housham said...

Glad you got to see the Peter Blake. It looks different from the one I saw, so now I want to see your one too. Sounds like a wonderful visit all round.

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello:
A friend of ours works at the Holbourne Museum and we really must make the effort to see it after its refurbishment. Your post has inspired us to start making plans to do so.

Bath, we always find, is endlessly fascinating and we can happily wander the streets and observe the glorious architecture without tiring of it.

You crammed a lot into your short break, but we find that this makes a lot out of a little and really makes one feel that one has had a much longer holiday.

Anna Mavromatis said...

Lesley, what a fantastic holiday and opportunity to visit all these wonderful exhibits.
I love reading your descriptions and the introduction to Lacock with the reminder of Colin Firth as Mr D'Arcy "striding down the main street in that memorable Pride and Prejudice" is so very precious!
Thank you for taking us along!!!

Ticking Stripes said...

Straight over to check out the dates for the Peter Blake - thanks so much for the heads up. Hope I can get to that...

Fiona Dempster said...

Loved the post Lesley and was very happy to stay with it and last the distance! Fabulous shots gave me a real sense of the exhibitions. Jessica Ferguson's work was truly mesmerising - thank you!

Jill said...

Bring on the feast - it would be the Peter Blake for me - saw a fascinating feature on TV some time back about his 'collections'. Made me want to live in a warehouse with plenty of space! The Jessica Ferguson vingettes look wonderful, good luck in finding a workshop.

Gina said...

Still awake Lesley and fascinated to read about all your visits to the exhibitions. The Fashion Museum at Bath is on my list of places to visit one day.

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Just popped in to say hello -still in the middle of exams until 2nd week of June. Can't wait for Summer.
Lucy xxxxx