Thank you all for the e mails and responses to my comment about putting some of our collections on line. Lots to read about at Things to Make and Do and Jee and Me so I thought I ought to pull my finger out and show some of my wedding postcards and photographs as promised. I think I started collecting them after reading an article in a magazine where the interviewee had a wall full of unknown people's wedding photographs. Somehow the idea that they had had postcards made of their special day that were now no longer wanted made me want to give them a home, so I went to my 'dealer of choice', Albie, who runs a fabulous bookshop selling postcards in Tenby. This is a few of what I've bought over the years, never spending much money, but making the choice based on the looks on their faces or the setting of the photograph and the outfits.The top one is a favourite, taken in the back yard after the ceremony. When I bought it my husband was reading 'Ethel and Ernest' by Raymond Briggs so that's who they are to me. Ethel looks young and naive and I'm not sure if Ernest is perhaps a little bit older than her, but look at the gentle love on their faces, compared to the gormless look on one of the bridesmaids. The couple below are called Clifford and Rose - well,to me they are- and I think they look like a couple who will be married for ever to each other. That frock doesn't do much for her but I think he's smitten. I love that shy smile on his face....

Now I think these two are a couple of toffs . He has an all knowing, self -assured yet cheeky grin whilst the lady below looks hesitant and not at all sure she's doing the right thing. I've never been completely sure whether the gentleman is her husband or her father giving her away. In close up her flowers and dress are lovely but there is such a serious look on her face so I'm not too sure of her feelings about the whole affair.





As you can see, I have a little mini collection of them and the last one is another favourite. I always imagine it's a wedding I might have been invited to. See that grumpy faced girl at the back with the unflattering hat, gripping the posy with grim determination.... yes, that was probably me in a former life.....By chance I had to go to Tenby this afternoon so I called in to see Albie and tell him about the blog posts and people's interesting collections. He sold me some more postcards - although I shouldn't make that sound as if I was an unwilling participant - but I did not look at the wedding ones this time. I was looking for a couple that might do service in a few Postman's Knock ideas. It means I might have to go back again.... what a shame..... not.
10 comments:
Ah I see you have changed your comment format so we can actually get through to you as have I!
Love your card collection - all those happy couples I wonder whether they lived happily ever after or not!
A wonderful collection - I have really enjoyed examining all their faces and clothes. They are truly fascinating.
Thank you!
What a superb collection!
Thank you for showing it/sharing it with us...
xoxox
These are fantastic, Lesley. The brides with the veil pulled tight just above their eyebrows remind me of my parents' wedding photos - album now lost so they may turn up with you!
Love these postcards Lesley. They are a nice compact subject to collect but have obviously given you hours of entertainment imagining the lives of the brides and grooms. I guess it was the length of time everyone had to stand still is the reason so many of them look glum. Mind you even royal bridesmaid can look fed up.
Your postcard for PK is by the front door ready for posting.
I've got really behind with posts but am loving this theme. I too have a Martin Parr book of cards (lusted after the one you have) - mine's a smaller one! Great idea re the collections. I'm amazed how many people dump their old family photos and have been picking up some great ones lately. These are lovely and I love the names - Ethel and Ernest is great for the top one - it fits the couple in the book perfectly!
Oh this all looks wonderful. Am flying out the door to work in a minute and so will take a closer look later this evening and leave a proper comment........ :O))))
Absolutely beautiful collection and you can tell you've chosen each one so carefully. They're delightful.
Proper comment time: How wonderful are all of these???? I just LOVE the one with the chap with spats. Those two look as if they will be together forever.
fantastic collection, so much worthy of close inspection. Look out Albie!
Post a Comment