Monday, 9 November 2009

Harold Jones


Last week my friend Sue sent me a lovely present. It was a sheet of wrapping paper and the image came from the end papers of a 1937 book called 'The Compass Points North' by M.E Atkinson. The illustrator was Harold Jones. This is a period in book illustration that I have a huge fondness for yet Harold Jones' work was new to me. I wanted to do something with the sheet and decided to promote the design from end papers to the front cover. So, last night I cut a few signatures, sorted out some covers, got hold of some threads , did some nifty stitchwork and made these two books below.

I have subsequently tried to find out more about Harold Jones . It seems he started book illustrations in the 1930's mainly in pen and ink and applied colour washes. They are definitely 'of an era' aren't they? And it seems he worked with this author again. Here are the end papers and front cover for 'Mystery Manor' by M.E.Atkinson, also published in 1937.
It seems that Harold Jones went on illustrating books well into the 1960's but examples are few and far between. I am delighted with the example I was sent though and I still have some left for another book or two. Thank you Sue!


2 comments:

Jill said...

How skilled you are - your books look wonderful, your friend must have known you would make good use of her gift.

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Jill,

You're right. She's one of those people with an unerring gift for doing the right thing at the right time. Looking at your journals, photos and prints I think you'd like her style. Have a look at her blog if you're interested www.suebrownprintmaker.blogspot.com and thank you for the comments about my books. I appreciate it.