
Early this morning I noticed a lot of movement in the field next door. There was a huge flock of birds which kept flying out from the hedgerow in unison, pecking at the ground and then all bolting for the hedge again when startled. I got out the binoculars and was amazed to find they were all redwings. Obviously they have arrived here from Scandinavia for the winter although we have rarely seen them in our little patch. Once I went out into the garden though I noticed that our holly trees and hedges have been stripped. As they were still pretty well covered the other day I can only surmise it is the work of the redwings. They have hung about all day and are a real treat.
1 comment:
Lovely shot of the redwing - they stripped our contoneaster last winter in a couple of days, helped by a few fieldfairs and blackbirds, but they don't usually come into town unless it is really cold. A lovely warm set of pictures for a chilly November evening.
Post a Comment