Thursday, 24 March 2011

Here come the girls


Life is busy at the moment but the beautiful warm Spring weather is a real distraction from the jobs on my 'must do' list. It was also my wedding anniversary this week and I remember it being this hot and sunny on the day I got married, 21 years ago. My young man took me out to celebrate in a new restaurant but I was more taken with the tantalising view of memorial stones I could see in a small cemetery across the road. Over a tall hedge I could just see a huge stone topped by an angel and this is unusual in Pembrokeshire. I'm not sure if it's because of the preponderance of chapels or what but headstones, although often wonderful, are not commonly adorned by angelic hosts. So, I played truant from my jobs yesterday afternoon and drove back to the cemetery to have a closer look. I am completely fascinated by cemeteries and memorials but not in a morbid way. I am entranced by the names I find and imagine the lives people led. I took lots of photos and then realised they were all of women's headstones. I told a friend I had spent the afternoon in the cemetery and she gave me that 'you need to get a life' look, but being surrounded by all these other women's lives is wonderful and I would love to know more about them.










9 comments:

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Happy Anniversary Lesley!

I'm very fond of cemetaries and churches too, they are such a rich source of social history.

I love the different types of lettering on these memorial stones and such wonderful names.

Hope the glorious spring weather continues - for another day or two at least...!!

Jeanne
x

Anna Mavromatis said...

Happy Anniversary!
Enjoy the celebration, the spring weather, the discovery of these beautiful stone memorials from the past.
xox

Jane Housham said...

I'm with you on the lure of beautiful resting places. I don't find them morbid at all. Lovely lettering you've found -- reminds me of mourning brooches.

Joanna said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Mr Printed Material.

Love that angel!

menopausalmusing said...

Happy Anniversary! Another one here who ADORES a good graveyard (Arnos Vale is one of my most favourite places in the world!!). I think I might already have mentioned to you at some point that I googled our local church and it has an "interactive" churchyard.... you can zoom down into the yard and pinpoint specific graves......

Gill said...

Seems I'm not alone in being fascinated by graveyards and the names! In fact I love next door to one!!
Happy Anniversary! It's our 24th next week!

Celia Hart said...

One of my 'I must do' projects is to collect lettering from gravestones - they fascinate me too. When we're on long walks we often take a breakin a churchyard and read the memorials. You've found some wonderful examples.

Happy anniversary
Celia

Gina said...

I'm another fan of gravestones and that angel is beautiful. Happy Anniversary!

Dan said...

Happy anniversary Lesley!
The angel is amazing. Old headstones are fascinating, aren't they?
Dan
-x-