Sunday, 21 March 2010

Crows


These Bartholomew maps can be found in many charity shops and second hand book shops for a small price. They are usually cloth bound and they make perfect substrates for an artists book or small art journal . They are already accordion folded and they are a great size but can be cut smaller if required, plus they are sturdy enough to take all manner of paint treatments. I've been working on the book below for a couple of weeks on and off. Just have to add the covers now which I'll do later this week. The text I used are lines from a great poem by Mary Oliver called 'Crows'. The photo isn't very clear but read the poem and I think you'll see how it worked its magic for me.

From a single grain of sand they have multiplied.
When you look in the eyes of one
you have seen them all.
At the edges of the highways
they pick up limp things.
They are anything but refined.
Or they fly out over the corn
like pellets of black fire
like overlords.
Crow is crow you say.
What else is there to say?
Drive down any road,
die and be born again -
wherever you arrive
they'll be there first,
glossy and rowdy
and indistinguishable.
The deep muscle of the world.

4 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

What a good idea Lesley - not sure about the poem though - it is a bit macabre isn't it?! Do you know Ted Hughes Crow? I studied it for A level English some years ago (long after school days were over) and although I found it interesting again it was a bit morbid for my tastes!! However it is a good job we don't all like the same things isn't it?

Jane x

Jill said...

Crows are a very emotive subject with their associations, I love the dark humour of Iain Banks' Crow Road and this poem evokes Van Gogh's last painting too. I like your images, hope you share the cover. Using the old maps is a great idea, and of course they are a favourite of yours.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Lesley, its always interesting to see how you can take something that already has a purpose and turn it into something completely unique. A great skill and the use of maps for you I know,is a source of inspiration.

I happen to like this poem by Mary Oliver, the imagery is so strong - it brings to mind the film version of Daphne du Maurier's 'The Birds'. They are fiendishly intelligent too which we can only admire.

Jeanne x

menopausalmusing said...

Great work... I loved the colours, to me, they epitomised the "nature, red in tooth and claw" thing.