Virtually every blog I've read in the last week has mentioned the 'S' word. We all have Spring fever and cannot wait for it to come. I think the weekend sunshine has lifted everyone's spirits and I got out into the garden today to take a photo of the only crocuses left in our garden. These are the only few that the badgers did not eat! They are a treat and I'm so glad they did not find them. Those orange stamens just sing out and make you think those other bloggers are right.
I also took advantage of the warm weather to bleach some fabric. I bought this 100% linen shirt for a couple of pounds in a charity shop the other day, thinking I might use it in some stitching project maybe. Then I thought about resist bleaching it as it was warm enough to do it outside today , giving me the ventilation I needed. So I cut off one of the front pieces and folded it....
..and then put pegs all around it. (If you're wondering about the writing, I used them to hang up some samples at a workshop I ran last year about felting the fleeces of rare breed sheep.) Then I put the package in a bowl and poured on some thick bleach. I was wearing my gloves so I was able to squeeze the package, but with no discernable effect. After about five minutes I thought perhaps the fabric was just not going to bleach so took the pegs off...
5 comments:
WOW! That is just so effective........... I love it..... Havent a clue what you could do with it, but definitely do some more......
:O)
Hi Lesley, Very interesting and lovely results! I could definitely see this as a long scarf (cut into lengths, of course, and then sewn together....and maybe interspersed with lengths from the next bleach attempt, which might turn out to have an overall different character). I could also see it cut and pieced as the center square of an otherwise natural linen pillow cover. Or...cut into wide bands, one or two of which could be pieced or appliqued (set in from either end)-- onto natural linen-- again on a pillow cover (or table runner, etc.). Or....as the bottom band on a linen shirt, skirt or apron. Of course, these are typical suggestions. :) I'd love to see more of your work. Do you have a flickr site or other venue where one might be able to view it? Those orange stamens are gorgeous!
I'm just back from France and catching up on some blogs. Love your fabric - a book cover was what came to mind first when I saw it. You could also mix it with some of the plain fabric in some sort of patchwork for a cushion cover perhaps. Keep posting - I love to see the results of your experiments.
The crocuses' hearts of gold are wonderful - although today mine are all closed up - it is so cold and dull. The bleaching experiment is brilliant. I am glad Gloria was able to make some suggestions as I am totally flumuxed. Many of my clothes sport bleaching, but that is mainly by accident. Bleach is the lazy housewife's means of kidding herself that everything is clean! Ooops is that me?
Gosh what a good idea. I will have to remember your technique for future art work it is really interesting!
Lucy xx
Post a Comment