I had a fabulous day out yesterday, meeting my friend Sue in Hereford to see an exhibition there by the Aberystwyth Printmakers. It was fascinating to 'do' an exhibition with a practising artist and look at the exhibits with a 'makers eye' as well as with your own gut feelings when you see something you like but can't explain why. We then popped over to Baileys Home and Garden near Ross-on-Wye for lunch. This place is a mecca for all things vintage and trendy. I bought some vintage cake wrappers (don't ask) and a couple of silly things before we split up to head home in opposite directions.
As I had my camera with me and because it was on my return route, I spent an enjoyable time on my own at Kilpeck Church , which is the parish church of St Mary and St David there and described as 'one of the most perfect Norman village churches in England'. Well reader, they do not lie! It is a gem of a place.
The church was built around 1134 and it is renowned for its carvings which are carved from wonderful red sandstone. Despite this they are really well preserved and the inspirations for the carvings come from the Bestiary, the source of practically all the animal lore that was known at this time. These animals were not meant to be exact representations. They were meant for moral teaching but since their origins were unclear it is not surprising that the carvers, who were illustrating beasts they could never have seen, exaggerated facets to bring home the message they wanted to give more clearly.
There are three of these lovely corbels. These projecting brackets, beautifully carved, give support to the structure. By reading the information in the church I found out that 'corbel' came from the Latin corvus for a crow and as I've been working on a book made from maps and about crows this week it seemed apt to finish my day here.
There was absolutely no-one else about yesterday except for an elderly chap clearing the grounds. I passed the time of day with him, enjoyed the warmth of the sun and spent a few reflective minutes on my own inside this beautiful church. It rounded off a lovely day!
8 comments:
So glad you had such a lovely day out Lesley. Love those carvings especially the two little chaps in the last photo - they really made me smile!
Jane x
What a smashing day. Went to Baileys once and loved everything - didn't see any vintage cake wrappers though! And what were the "silly things"?
Yes, 'fess up....... what were the "silly things"????
The church looks wonderful. A nice end to a lovely day. I am going back to look again at the wonderful film in your last post......... It fascinates me.
I am glad that you had a relaxing day. The carvings are fantastic and they are lucky to have survived for so long when they stick-out so far from the building!
Lucy xxx
I love Baileys Home and Garden so I'm very envious you paid a visit there for starters!
The church at Kilpeck looks wonderful - the carvings are very quirky. I do like churches and churchyards; I could do with a bit of peace and quiet myself. My work has been manic so no time for posting and very little time for commenting either hence my absence. Alas, 'in the potting shed' is a metaphor for slaving over legal documents on my computer!
Jeanne x
Chrissie and Cathy,
I wish I'd not said silly things because when I now tell you what they are you'll wonder what planet I'm on.... it was only a dip pen to go with my vintage cake wrappers from France and a little label meant for parcels saying 'Don't Crush'. I thought I could use it somewhere along with two little kilt type pins with places to hang things from. Thought I could make a couple of intriguing brooches with them and my friend took two as well so we're trying to see who will make the things first. Trouble is that these 'silly things' cost £10 - more like silly money than silly things!
Your post touched several buttons. I also love going to exhibitions with my artist friend as she is able to make much more insightful observations than I am - and there is something very pleasant about exploring on your own, especially with a camera which makes you look closely at details. The church looks wonderful, and the animal faces - well I wish I could find the words!
And you bought yourself some 'silly' treats. Sounds like a wonderful day out.
Lucky you to go to Kilpeck church, there's a book somewhere called The Hereford School of Romanesque Sculpture, I gave mine away to a friend, which details all the carvings, etc, I think the doorway has a depiction of the Tree of Life....
Post a Comment