
As my husband is on holiday this week we had a day out planned yesterday and went off to Hay-on-Wye early, after we had inspected the moth trap we'd put out for the first time this season, the night before. I was expecting something in the post so checked as soon as we got home late afternoon - and I found this wonderful envelope on my doormat!
Inspired by the art of Harriet Russell in my weekend post, one of my blog readers, John in Cheshire, decided to see if the Royal Mail was able to deliver this to me. He had no idea of my address other than the scant information put into my blogger profile.. The text reads : 'Postie, please try to deliver for me to blogger Printed Material who resides in a domestic dwelling near Narberth in South Wales. She has numerous deliveries of new books. One last week that you enquired about was the book 'The Map as Art'. Please try your best because she heads her latest blog 'Three Cheers for the Post Office'. Husband keeps bees. Thank you very much'.
Well, this was posted on Monday afternoon in Cheshire an arrived in Pembrokeshire on Tuesday morning. You can't tell me that that is not great service! I spoke to Ceri about it today and he said it got to him because John did put his name on it and as soon as he read it he knew it was for me. However it reached me, it just shows what can be done doesn't it? Thank you John, it really made my day. Mind you, so did this wonderful moth. We only had a small number in the trap but here is a male 'Oak Beauty'. Their colour can be variable but the brown strip is diagnostic and in all of them. Look at his beautiful feathered antennae. The moths this early in the year tend to be known as 'little brown jobs' because they can be hard to differentiate from each other.
By the way John, I don't only have numerous deliveries of new books, I also succumb to the temptation of old ones too. I bought quite a few in Hay-on-Wye yesterday whilst my husband bought some old copies of bee-keeping books. None of mine cost that much and I bought a lovely King Penguin copy of 'Larger British Moths' with a cover designed by the well known textile designer Enid Marx for just £2. We also stopped at a nursery on the way home and bought lots of plants ...... what a fabulous day!
6 comments:
Thanks for the moth info - we get a lot of 'brown jobs'and are familiar with the 'Hebrew Character' I came across several of those pale T shaped ones whilst tidying up the lavender. (Had to look it up - large white plume moth is the nearest match - although it isn't very large!)Now I wish I could remember what my Norfolk grandad called large moths and it going to annoy me now..... Aaah now I remember - after a little scoot round google - a 'kitty-wee' only it has to be said with a glottal stop on those t's in true Norfolk style. Well that is a bit of useless information, you can tell I have time on my hands. Sounds like a grand day out, hope you are enjoying some spring weather too.
Jill x
The letter delivery is incredible! It is great to see moths again. We don't seem to get many in our small garden but we do sometimes look for them on summer evenings. I must start looking again!!
Lucy xxxxx
Three cheers for Royal Mail! Nice to know there are still people (with a sense of humour) involved in the mail sorting process.
Beautiful pictures of the moths too - we haven't seen any round this neck of the woods. We did see two bumblebees at the weekend though.
Best wishes
Dan
I've not seen any moths yet but we do tend to get a lot of the 'Hebrew Character' ones I think - thank you for naming it for us!
How incredible that John's letter got to you - a great experiment on his part, and the Post Office should be proud of itself!
Glad to hear you had a good day in wonderful Hay-on-Wye with an acquisition of books and plants - perfect!
Jeanne x
Well done Post and Postie! Great photos of moths. Such beauty in them when they are still, but it has to be said that I am not keen on them flying round in a room at night. Not keen at all!
So glad you had a good day out yesterday - haven't been to Haye on Wye for years but it's an amazing little town isn't it? Three cheers for the post office indeed - makes a lovely change to hear of such service when mostly all we get is gripes and moans. Those moths are lovely - wonder why butterflies are acceptable but moths not to everyone's taste? They are beautiufl too.
Jane x
Post a Comment