Monday, 26 April 2010

The Calligrapher

Last week I read lots of blogs in people's own hand. It reminded me of this video that I saw recently. Apologies for not remembering where. I subsequently read all I could about the Quay Brothers who produced these three stop motion animation idents (the bits between the programmes) for the BBC when they re-branded BBC2 in the early 1990's. They were rejected and the three have been put together for this film. My favourite bit comes at the end with all the frantic hands drawing the wing on the page....

7 comments:

Sue Brown said...

The Quay Brothers are not for the faint hearted, have you seen The Street of Crocodiles? Thanks for the reminder, I love to be put in touch with my dark side. Thankyou for the Piper article, I love your sello tape. XX

Jill said...

What a shame these little gems were never used - but thanks to you Lesley we get to see them.
Jill

menopausalmusing said...

Lesley, that was just utterly brilliant! There is so much stuff out there to be seen............ :O))))))))))

Marigold Jam said...

Oh dear yet again I come to check out blogs just before I need to dash off out - I will come back and finish looking at these little videos as have only seen the first so far and it was certainly different!

Jane x

Reading Tea Leaves said...

I'm surprised they were rejected because they are quite similar in content to the cut-out sequence they use on BBC2. I love the blue feather quill pen.

Jeanne
x

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Gosh that is unusual and quite old looking! I like your post on the Bumblebees! At long last I have had chance to catch up on a few blogs!
It is great to hear the bees in the garden again!
Lucy xxxx

Dan said...

Hi Lesley
I think that's great! I wonder what the BBC chose instead?
Just a quick note to say I saw my first Swallow yesterday, and the House Martins are gradually coming back too. I saw three of those yesterday here in North Wales.
Best wishes
Dan
-x-