Thursday, 8 April 2010

Swallow Alert

There was a small piece in our local paper a couple of weeks ago saying that a swallow had been seen flying over the beach in Tenby. Since we've had nothing but rain ever since I wonder if the poor thing has survived. Other sources in the county have also reported sightings but we do not expect the pairs that breed in our little pig cott to return until later in the month - fingers crossed! I love these amazing birds. They are my favourites so I got to wondering if anyone else had seen them around the country yet? If you have, or have heard about any sightings, please leave a comment. Although it is still quite early it will help me get a feel for whether this is going to be a good breeding season or not. Thanks.

PS: You don't have to give your location away - a general hint will do.

12 comments:

menopausalmusing said...

Nothing yet......... Ever hopeful though! :O)

Chrissie said...

No sightings so far Lesley. We get lots of swifts and some swallows normally and there are certainly plenty of insects in the air for them at the moment. (reporting from my camouflaged north Bedfordshire hideout!)

Reading Tea Leaves said...

No sightings yet here in the north of Suffolk Lesley but I would love to see some swallows - always a sign that good summer weather is on the way!

How lucky you are to look forward to a few nesting pairs in your outbuildings.

Jeanne x

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

There are no Swallows here yet but we are looking out for our usual House Martins that nest on the house over the road. I will let you know if I do see any Swallows but we normally only have House Martins and Swifts. The Swallows seem to only fly around nearby Laycock which is about just under a kilometre away where there is farmland.
Lucy xxxxxx

Marigold Jam said...

None seen here yet but I did see one (just one!) when I was in France a few weeks back - early even there though.

Jane x

menopausalmusing said...

Coming back for another visit: just to let you know that His Nibs reckons he has been spotting the odd House Martin for the last couple of weeks. Definitely NO swallows yet though.

Dan said...

No swallows yet in North Wales or Cheshire. I did think I heard a house martin yesterday, but I could have been mistaken, as a quick look in the skies revealed nothing.

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Wow, thanks everyone for the speedy response - even though the straw poll seems to be a resounding zero on the swallow front. Better news maybe for the house martin it seems. I envy those of you who see swifts. They are quite rare here except for a large group which regularly screech and scream over my nearest town of Narberth. I tend to stand around for minutes on end just watching them. As and when you see a swallow, if you remember, please let me know. Thanks again all. Lesley.

Jill said...

We don't see swallows or house martin here but we do have swifts. I started my first art journal page last year inspired by my first sighting on the 10th May. We are a long way from the coast so it must take them longer to get here. I was planning a re-run when I spotted them this year - it is usually at the beginning of May. They have a nest in the house opposite which has been occupied (the nest) for many of the twenty plus years we have lived here. It is amazing to watch them fly between the houses and then disappear into the nest hole without seeming to slow down. I'll save the rest of my swift praise 'till they arrive!

Jill said...

Meant to ask, is that a piece of your artwork at the top of the page?

Taz said...

North East Scotland - not a chance of the poor wee birdys chancing it up here yet.

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Albeit late, I keep meaning to thank you all for your comments here. I found it fascinating to see where they are - and where they are not! Would love to know when they get up to Scotland Taz? All of this truly interests me. Thanks again. Lesley xx