I am grateful to Cathy over at Menopausal Musings. She kindly let me know that there is a new series starting on BBC 4 tonight called 'Maps; Power, Plunder and Possession'. It's followed tomorrow night by another series called 'The Beauty of Maps' which is on for four nights. If that wasn't enough for a little cartophiliac (!) like me, through reading about these programmes I then found out about a new exhibition opening on April 30th at the British Library called 'Magnificent Maps'. It's like buses - everything comes at once!This exhibition runs until September 19th and showcases the British Library's unique collection of large scale display maps, many of which have never been exhibited before. There will be over 100 maps on show , considered some of the greatest in the world. One will be the Klencke Atlas, above, never shown with its pages open before.
Presented to Charles the Second on his restoration and now 350 years old, it takes 6 people to lift it - so not for light reading then! I cannot fit in a trip to visit London to take in all the current exhibitions I want to see so how I will fit this one in as well I do not know.
Easier to access is an opportunity to join the 'Collective Atlas ' project. I found out about this via a book arts newsletter I receive . Go over to the Somethink Collective blog to find out more and see the work already submitted. In essence the idea is " to create a representation of the world through the people who know the places. Think of a village/town/city that you have spent time in. The task is to try and represent it the best way you can in one simple book"
Once the books have been sent in the idea is to try and find an exhibition space to showcase them in. Could be a really interesting thing to do and the book has to be made from one A4 sheet of paper so not a large project. Have a look at the ones already submitted. I'm going to have a go when a good idea comes to me.
Haven't got the time this week though because there's too much telly to watch. Thanks Cathy!
7 comments:
Sounds like you month! That Somethink Collective sounds fun too although I don't think I could come up with anything inspired. Will wait to hear what you plan to do for it!
Jane x
Should read your month - when will I learn to proof read before pressing post!
I watched it with awe and just could not get over the intelligence of people so many years ago to have come up with what they did. Can't wait to watch "The Beauty of Maps" tomorrow....... Not usually much of a telly fiend, but this............
BBC4 come up with some great programmes and this one certainly delivered. I will be watching The Beauty of Maps tomorrow too.
I love the history behind the Klencke Atlas - fascinating stuff!
Jeanne
x
Missed it(Mr T had bagged all TV time) - but I shall record it over night - sounds like my sort of programme - have you had some sort of influence at the BBC Lesley? The books look really interesting too - but I'm all booked up (Groan!)
The programme was excellent wasn't it? I loved the map carved into the rock in Northern Italy. Shall be watching tonight and all this week as well. I think I shall have 'square eyes' (as my Mum used to say) by the end of the week!
Ooooh the Collective Atlas contributions are so inspiring,I do hope you do one. With your wonderful bookmaking skills it would be something v. special. I'm hoping the BBC have put the map programmes on the iplayer thingie.
Post a Comment