Tuesday, 6 April 2010

Mixed bag(s)


I am confined to barracks as we have Jim, the heating engineer here fitting our woodburning stove. I am turning a blind eye to the chaos and the mess and getting on with things. Normally I get out of doing the vacuuming because I have bad tinnitus which is aggravated by the thing (seriously!) but I think I shall be close friends with it by the time Jim finishes today's workload. Roll on tomorrow... but first I finished this bag for tonight. I have finally used up every scrap of this green stuff. I bought one metre of each pattern and have made three bags from it which I'm very pleased with.
This pattern is one I bought from an Etsy seller last year and every time I make it I have to remember to tweak it as it is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Still, I like the shape and I hope the recipient tonight will be pleased with it. I also made another big bag over the weekend which I might keep for myself.

This was made using a tablecloth I bought in the charity shop for 50p and some material I was given by a curtain making shop just to get it off their hands. I have a little bit of it left and I'm going to combine it with some lovely chintzy curtain fabric. Might do that tomorrow in between giving Jim endless cups of tea....
Just wanted to share one of my treasures from the antique fair at the weekend where I got carried away looking at postcards on a stand selling vintage buttons and handbags. I was so wrapped up in the messages on the back I didn't realise until I got home that I'd bought two sent to the same person by her mother. They both depicted French actress and music hall star Gaby Deslys. Wasn't she beautiful? Look at the that fabulous hat made with moire silk! Of course I then had to find out about her and I read that J M Barrie (of Peter Pan fame) was very keen on her, trying to write something for her to appear in, in a silent film. It never came about but I'm not surprised she took his fancy.
The postcards to Lily from her mother are so precious. They start with 'Have you forgotten my address?.... obviously Lily was not as devoted as she could have been... but I decided to scan them in and use them in a card making idea. I'd also bought a set of cigarette cards and scanned those in too, combining the two things like this. They might be a bit twee for me but I like them at the moment and may make a few more. After all, until Jim has the fire in I'm going nowhere!





6 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

I like the cards - not twee at all! Those bags are great too and very useful I should think. Now you have the woodburner installed we should be all set for some hot weather!

Thought of you yesterday when I discovered that my marigolds are now tiny green shoots!

Jane x

menopausalmusing said...

I love the bags and am green with envy over your lovely finds at the fair.....

The log burner will be worth all the mess. We are just about out of logs for the winter, and I shall miss the smell of woodsmoke.

Dan said...

Great cards and bags - you fill your time with such productive and lovely things!
I especially love the fantastic reason for not doing the hoovering! I'll have to remember that one!

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

You make such super bags and buying material for so little is just great too! Hope you are soon back to normal in the house!
Lucy xxxxx

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Hope all is back to normal in the house now Lesley and that your woodburning stove is in situ - you may need it this evening!

Love both your bags and the postcards have an interesting history - both subject and sender! I love rummaging don't you!!

Hope your Easter was a good one!

Jeanne xx

Jill said...

Love the bags - my sister,Jan is the bag maker so I have a few of hers. The postcards are magic. Jan has an album belonging to my grandmother which has lots sent between her and her sisters and cousins. They were all in service but constantly meeting up - the postcards were like their text messages. Unfortunately our communications will be lost to the ether.