Thursday, 28 January 2010

Bee prepared

It's my husband's birthday in a couple of weeks and I bought his present this week. I got him a stethoscope. Now, he's not a doctor and before you ask, no, I did not get the nurse's outfit to go with it.... he wanted one for his bees! He is not intending to check their health individually but it is going to be put to use to check on their collective wellbeing.

In the coming weeks he will need to check they are all OK without disturbing them and the stethoscope, put to the hive, will let him hear the encouraging thrum of lots of honey bees keeping each other warm inside. This is an idea we picked up from Mustard Plaster, a wonderful blog I've been reading regularly for over a year now. It's an eclectic mix of bees, chickens and vegetable gardening and a fascinating read. I often can't resist watching this video of the vegetables and bees of summer 2007. It always makes me smile. I defy you not to do the same.



6 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

I do hope he will have a very happy birthday and enjoy playing doctors with his bees! I love the video - yes it did make me smile too!

Jane x

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Loved the video! Hope your husband has lots of fun with his stethoscope ... It must be such a rewarding hobby - do your bees produce much honey? I'm going to check out that blog now - sounds intriguing.

Have a great weekend Lesley.

Jeanne x

menopausalmusing said...

What a wonderful little film.... such creativity out there..........

sarah said...

Clapping!
I love this.. and going to see your beekeeper friends too now and read about them.
You are a wonderful wife to understand such a gift as a stethoscope.. bless you friend :)

Jill said...

Love this little film - really cheery.
Hope your bees are collectively healthy!

Carols Original Prints said...

I love the video. Brought a smile ot my face ... such simple pleasures.