Tuesday, 5 January 2010

Masterly collage


My friends know full well that I am an obsessive paper collector and hoarder. One of my favourite things are books of maps, old linen maps.... anything to do with maps. No surprise then that I should buy this fabulous book about the collage work of Peter Clark. If his work is new to you go and look at more here. You will be entranced and amazed at what he can do with the paper other people have discarded.

Peter combs flea markets and boot sales on a regular basis looking for anything he can use from maps to beermats, old sheet music, record sleeves, sales ledgers, sales invoices, old cigarette cards.... you name it and he'll find a use for it creating these wonderful images.

Dogs have become a speciality and he now does them to commission, recreating people's pets in paper ephemera. He doesn't stop there though. There are other animals and clothing too - lots of suits, shoes and dresses - all conjured out of maps and the like and layered in his signature style.

If you've got a hoard of paper like me take a look at more photos on his website. It looks very straightforward but it is anything but and whilst I would love to be able to produce something like this , the phrase 'in your dreams' is echoing around my head. Still, I would get huge pleasure from the initial searching and shopping experience to start me off. If I could add anything like these gorgeous things to my hoard I'd be very happy indeed.



5 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Wow! How fantastic aren't there some clever creative people in the world?
Jane x

Reading Tea Leaves said...

They are so clever - I love the hound with his map face and leather-like ears! Thanks for the link to Peter - now I wonder if he does cats ....

Jeanne x

Jill said...

Jane and Jeanne have pre-empted my comment - there are so many creative people around, thanks for another inspiring link Lesley.
Jill x

sarah said...

I too love maps. This is a fantastic post. I love anything paper.

P.S You are a beekeeper in Wales?! NICE to meet you. I am so glad you stopped to say hello. I look forward to more posts here and reading more about you. Love your profile photo by the way. Cute!

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Thanks for your comments everyone. Glad to see Peter Clark inspires you all too. Yes, Jeanne he does cats too! He's married to the embroiderer Karen Nicol, another stylish artist worth whose work is worth searching out.Lesley.