Tuesday, 12 January 2010

A Word on Statistics

The article I posted about yesterday contained lots of disturbing statistics. As is the way with me, I was then reminded about this poem by Wislawa Szymborska entitled 'A Word on Statistics'. Whilst not a prolific poet, or it seems, widely known, she did win the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1996:

Out of every hundred people,

those who always know better:
fifty two.

Unsure of every step:
almost all the rest.

Ready to help,
if it doesn't take long:
forty nine.

Always good,
because they cannot be otherwise:
four, well, maybe five.

Able to admire without envy:
eighteen.

Led to error
by youth (which passes):
sixty, plus or minus.

Those not to be messed with:
four and forty.

Living in constant fear
of someone or something:
seventy seven.

Capable of happiness:
twenty-some-odd at most.

Harmless alone
turning savage in crowds:
more than half, for sure.

Cruel,
when forced by circumstances:
it's better not to know,
not even approximately.

Wise in hindsight:
not many more
than wise in foresight.

Getting nothing out of life except 'things':
thirty
(although I would like to be wrong).

Doubled over in pain
and without a flashlight in the dark:
eighty three,
sooner or later.

Those who are just:
quite a few,
at thirty five.

But if it takes effort to understand:
three.

Worthy of empathy:
ninety-nine.

Mortal:
one hundred out of one hundred-
a figure that has never varied yet.

From the Miracle Fair Collection translated by Joanna Trzeciak

7 comments:

Sue Brown said...

Really moving. Look forward to seeing you this year...at some point!!XXX

Marigold Jam said...

As usual your post gives loads of food for thought. Horrified at some of those "statistics" eg only 35% of us are just or77% living in fear etc!
Have read carefully yesterdays article and again am horrified by the numbers of birds being killed by various man made things. And as she says (as did Rachael Carson) what happens to birds is reflected in what happens to man.
All quite scary stuff eh?

Jane

Jill said...

Brilliant poem - perhaps showing that sometime a knowledge of human nature makes a poet as accurate as a statistician. I have a 'healthy scepticism' when it comes to statistics as I believe they can be manipulated and translated to suite any purpose. But I do not refute the evidence that we are destroying our world as we know it. Although I feel some will 'rage, rage against the dying of the light' (to quote out of context) I also feel that there is a horrible inevitability about man's destructive force.
Well done Lesley for provoking the debate.

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

I like the poem, statistics are always good and no matter how putting down they are, they are always good to know!!
Lucy xx

Reading Tea Leaves said...

A thought-provoking poem and post Lesley. It's an interesting concept to construct a poem from statistics, but are they just numbers? Discuss! Even so I love its pace and rythmn - definitely a poet to seek out I think.

I missed your post yesterday but have just printed out the article so I can read it in more depth. To paraphrase 'man's inhumanity and wanton destruction of the natural world' is sometimes too much to bear...

Jeanne x

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Thanks everyone for your response. It is a good poem and I think it would make a great subject to turn into an artists book perhaps. I'm going to get off my soapbox now I promise.

menopausalmusing said...

Do you know what? I sat and mused and mused and mused over this one........ How she had come to her statistics, where I fitted in them, how vain was I being in wanting to be included in one set but not another etc etc etc.