Sunday, 17 January 2010

Blowing away the cobwebs


I broke one of my cardinal rules today and did my weekly supermarket shop on a Sunday. My husband had to go to work for the morning and I was up early with him so thought if I did it today I would then get the whole day to myself tomorrow. Although I did it, it did not sit well with me as I am a great believer in retaining that 'Sunday' feeling and making it a 'shopping free' zone. Equally, when my husband got home he said we needed to do something that made the day seem like a Sunday for us.

Well, one of our Sunday treats from Spring onwards is a good walk so we drove the 20 minutes it takes to get here, the Green Bridge of Wales, and had a bracing walk along the cliff tops.... In truth it was mild and there was absolutely no breeze. The weight of the snow has made all the grass looked like the waves of the sea and it was a beautiful afternoon for a walk from the bridge along to Elegug Stacks, known locally as Stack Rocks.
Very soon both of these rock formations will be host to a mass of seabirds all gathering to breed. There will be razorbills, kittiwakes, puffins and guillemots by the hundreds. Today we were lucky enough to see the choughs that inhabit these cliffs. There were about a dozen flying about which are pretty good numbers for any time of year. It was a special couple of hours and took away some of the guilt at doing that shopping this morning. Now all I have to do is make sure I make the most of tomorrow so that it was worthwhile.


4 comments:

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Wonderfully exhilerating photos Lesley. We saw choughs on holiday in Cornwall and these scenes remind me of the area between Pendeen and Zennor. I know what you mean about shopping on a Sunday, but don't be too hard on yourself, it has been more than trumped with this enviable walk!

Have a good day tomorrow.

Jeanne x

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

I would have loved to have seen Choughs!
Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. The Mists of Avalon really is a good book, i'm sure you will like it!!
Lucy xx

Marigold Jam said...

Rules are made to be broken occasionally and your lovely walk more than made up for the shopping trip anyway! I know what you mean though and since living in France where shopping on a Sunday (or a Monday or dudring the lunch hour) is not a possiblity in most places we resolved to continue keeping Sundays special and not shopping.

Jane x

Jill said...

Must say I also avoid shops on a Sunday, but what a wonderful walk to have so close. I did manage to get in the garden and swept up the mass of berries dropped by the redwings and fieldfares when they stripped the cotoneaster. Sadly I found a dead redwing which must have flown into the greenhouse. They have deserted me now the snow and berries have gone.