Wednesday, 27 January 2010

Big Garden Birdwatch this weekend

This weekend is the annual date for the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch. All you have to do is count the birds in your garden or park or wherever you are for just one hour on either Saturday 30th or Sunday 31st. Even if you see nothing, that is still valuable information. The data will help spot trends in the increase or decline of our native and migrant birds.

We've been completing it for a number of years and sadly, this year we will record a big decline in yellowhammers. We've been lucky to see lots in recent winters but to date, I've seen just one. Mind you, I've also seen only one wren this winter as well and they are now Britain's commonest bird according to an article I read the other day, so any data will obviously be useful.

Go here to find out more and download a recording sheet. If you have a spare hour, please give it a thought.

7 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Link not working - do we need to specify what kind of birds or just how many altogether? I'll try to remember to do it as we have a fair number of birds coming to the feeder just now.

Whose is the drawing? Your handiwork? It's lovely.

JAne

Jill said...

I belong to the BTO garden birdwatch scheme and count my visitors every week, sadly this winter I seem to have a less species, even my robin seems to have disappeared this week. And like Jane - I love the little sketch.
Jill

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Have checked the link and it does not seem to take you there directly but asks you if you mean RSPB -which I do! Why does blogger do this sometimes? As to the sketch , yes, it's one of mine. I am challenged in the drawing department as you can see but my friend tells me to practice, practice and practice a bit more!

menopausalmusing said...

Now funnily enough, when we had the snow, we had wrens coming right up to the house. One even came and sat on the windowsill! (Something we have never had happen before). It was almost as if they needed the warmth...?

That sketch is exquisite.

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

As a junior member of the RSPB I always do the birdwatch every year. I love the birds and any information about them, that helps to keep them happy and well and for us to know more about them is great!!
Lucy xx

LAC EMP 2020 said...

I knew I could rely on you Lucy. Thanks. Lesley.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

I'll be doing a head count over the weekend too!

Jeanne x