Thursday, 21 January 2010

Celebrating Paper


Yesterday I went to an exhibition at the RWA in Bristol called Celebrating Paper. It is on until 21st February and is definitely worth a visit if you're interested in the ways artists use paper. There were works from traditional papermakers who make their own papers through to artists using found papers like maps and old books to create mixed media pieces. There was little in the way of techniques like papier mache and papercutting but it is such a massive area of interest how on earth could they cover everything?
However, over 50% of the exhibition fell clearly into the printmaking category. There were artists making their own paper to print on to and quite a few 3D constructions from etched and collagraphed prints. My particular favourites were the works of Penny Brewill. These were etchings, contrived into boxed constructions or plans of Heath Robinson type contraptions. Unsurprisingly she says of her work that she has a '... keen interest in model making, plans, machines and a curiosity in discovering how things work....'
Of what I call the true papermakers, there was a piece by American artist Helen Hiebert incorporating thread between handpulled abaca sheets. It is called 'The Way it is' and uses a printed line from the poem of the same name by William Stafford. I'd never heard of him before but found it today and love the whole thing :
There's a thread that you follow. It goes among
things that change. But it doesn't change.
People wonder about what you are pursuing.
You have to explain about the thread.
But it is hard for others to see.
While you hold it you can't get lost.
Tragedies happen; people get hurt
or die; and you suffer and get old.
Nothing you can do can stop time's unfolding.
You don't ever let go of the thread.

7 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Glad you enjoyed the exhibition yesterday - I thought of you!

That poem is lovely and really very appropriate for you just now too isn't it? True for all of us of course.

Once again you've come up with something different and thought provoking. Thanks

Jane x

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Your posts are always so inspiring and different and capture my apreciation everytime i read them!!
the exabition looks wonderful if only there were one on beads!!
Lucy xx

Jill said...

I love the look of the top piece, the textures look really - well, textured. I had to look up abaca and found it was a kind of tissue, that two kinds of paper I've learned about the day, the other was yupo, which is actually a plastic sheet used for watercolour. The poem is brilliant and evokes all sorts of images. I shall write it in my little book of quotes for future reference.

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Thanks all. Appreciate the comments. Lucy, I'm sure there must be an exhibition for beaders somewhere? I used to run workshops in a fibre shop that also ran bead workshops. They were always over subscribed and I used to watch beaders shop for hours for beads. Does this sound like you?

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Sorry, Jill, I should have added that abaca is a great fibre for making paper. It's also known as manila hemp and you can buy it in dried pulp form to make paper sheets from.I have some and it makes lovely paper. Dyes well too. I have heard of Yupo. Isn't it similar to lutradur and used by embroiderers etc?

menopausalmusing said...

Oh, my, I think I shall be going to this exhibition. Sounds like there is a lot to see and to inspire. The poem spoke volumes.......

Jill said...

Lesley, as far as I can tell, Yupo is a perfectly smooth synthetic water resistant paper substitute.
Jill