
Over at Third Age Musings Jill has caught the needlefelting bug and is going great guns but I, being the Job's Comforter that I am, posted a cautionary comment about repetitive strain injury (RSI). It has been well documented that these sort of activities need to be done in short bursts rather than for sustained lengths of time and it got me thinking about Shauna Richardson as I had been reading about her work earlier in the day.
There was a lot of publicity last year when it was announced that Shauna would be crocheting 3 large 30ft lions in time for the 2012 Olympics. She calls her work 'crochetdermy' and I can only hope she has a group of outworkers helping her. Imagine her wrists after all that crocheting! Have a look at more of her work here. As someone who can crochet, but being left-handed, does not crochet in the accepted sense of the word, I am amazed by her skill and imagination at using such a traditional craft in an untraditonal way.
The same has got to be said for Kate Jenkins. Coincidentally - how often does this happen? - I'd also been reading about Kate yesterday on All Things Considered. Her use of crochet is so witty and inventive and I had a great time on her website looking at not only the quality of the work but the amusing way things have been altered. Alongside her clothes range are special galleries. My favourites were the insects and Kate's Cafe.
And as for the food.... well it made me smile and brightened up a grey day. I love the humour and admire the skill of both of these artists. I know there are many more out there using crochet in such an imaginative way. Me though? I'll stick to double chain and treble chain in short bursts. I know my limitations and mustn't do myself an injury after all!
5 comments:
That website is amazing! I must come back for a better look later as there is just so much on it that I want to take my time over it all.
You are right to warn about RSI - far better to avoid getting it in the first place than to end up trying to cure it once you have it!
Have a good day.
Jane
Oh more magic - I have got some crochet hooks somewhere, but I daren't get them out. Too many things on the go!!!
Jill of all trades, mistress of none!
Oh WOW! Such gorgeous things to look at!
Sorry, about not replying re d'oyleys: Have had problems leaving an answer (problem at this end, not yours, I have a dongle connection to my laptop and in certain weathers it plays up).
I was trying to print on d'oyleys and the main problems was finding a way to feed them into my printer. Where there's a will, there's a way.......
Don't know how successfull they would be to screenprint through, can't imagaine them being a problem though. Good luck!
Oh dear, and will you just LOOK at the spelling mistakes there.... I was "racing against the dongle" to leave a message before it hung up again............
I know that feeling! I have a dongle too. I can only watch videos etc early in the morning as, at all other times, the signal strength isn't strong enough. There's no broadband down here in the sticks. Still not experimented with the screenprinted doyleys but it's an idea I shall hold on to. Glad you all like the crochet. Lesley.
Post a Comment