Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Nuno - part two!


I enjoyed myself so much yesterday I decided to make inroads into that horde of scarves I've got. I remember paying about 50p for this viscose scarf, thinking it was a bit twee for me but I liked the pale blue and cream colour combination. So, this morning, in a very cold shed, I got the circulation going by setting it out as before and then making lots of circles of white fleece to lay on the top.

This can be quite a contemplative process as it takes about an hour to do enough to cover a 6 foot scarf. In the freezing cold of my shed it was a tedious process and my hands were nearly blue with the cold but I knew the finished result could be well worth it.

After fully wetting it out as before I rolled the scarf complete with bubblewrap around a piece of foam tubing. Some people use the things to aid swimming. I use the pipe lagging from the DIY store. Same difference. It's firm yet pliable.
After many, many rolls I was very warm. It's great for getting the circulation going on a cold day. Folllowed by a lot of throwing and chucking about to shock the felt and hey presto, I had another scarf. This one is lovely and I am very pleased with it but I'm going to give the nuno a rest for a few days as my shoulders are feeling the brunt of all that physical activity!

Going to go back and finish a few sewing projects that are crying out for completion. Must stop jumping into one thing whilst there are still things outstanding - like these little purses that I neglected for a few days because I couldn't get the buttonholes right.

I found the tutorial for this on the lovely blog, Mackville Road. Scroll down the sidebar on the right and it's easy to find . Diane's looks a lot better than mine and she adds a piece of felt to the front for needles as the tutorial is for a sewing bag. I used both lightweight and curtain weight fabric and think it might have been easier with two lightweight cottons.

I finally got my machine to play ball with making the buttonholes but the first one I did was too long and the second one was too short, making the button look off centre. This is why I positioned it a bit behind the other in the photo! Somehow I don't think I'll make any more. They are lovely to have and to use but if I have to get the buttonhole foot out again I shall scream. In our head to head the machine is winning at the moment but if I finish some of my outstanding projects I'll feel like I'm getting a little bit even with it.




5 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

That scarf is truly beautiful. Those purses too are great - if you made any more you could use magnetic fasteners or even a button and loop fastening perhaps if the machine won't play ball.

Hope your shoulders will not take too long to recover from the physical activity.

Jane x

menopausalmusing said...

I am finding this whole Nuno thing fascinating!!!! Am also fighting the urge to go over to the site re the purses, because I too have loads of unfinished "stuff" and just know I will want to make a purse..........

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Pretty little purses Lesley - I like the Bloomsbury look of the lilac one in the second to last photo.

Fantastic stuff this Nuno work - 'hey presto another scarf' indeed!!:)

Rest those shoulders!

Jeanne x

Jill said...

The scarf is wonderful and little pursed too - you made me try to remember how I used to make lined buttonholes by stitching a small rectangle of fabric over the buttonhole and turning the whole thing inside out - was it easier than using the buttonhle foot - I really can't remember.

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Thank you all for your comments about the nuno felt. It really is a wonderful technique. The only trouble is that I now still have a scarf hoard but they're thicker! It can be used with any fabric with a loose weave like silk, muslin, georgette, chiffon etc and can be made into yardage to then cut clothes from... or you can make coats, waistcoats, dresses.....