Saturday, 12 December 2009

Miscellany


Because the weather has been dry for a couple of days we decided to try a moth trap last night. We do not usually put one out in the winter months but we've seen quite a few moths fighting to get to the light through our conservatory window this week so we gave it a try. Well, what a damp squib it was. We had moths - well, we had two moths to be precise. They were both the same and unsurprisingly they were December moths. Should have known. There are lots of moths that derive their given name from the month they are at their most plentiful. I've always thought there was a book or series of prints in that fact somewhere but our two moths do not inspire me today.
Instead we went off to Cardigan for shopping and chanced upon an exhibition by Bethan Ash called 'Over Twenty'. Bethan does have the inspiration I lack , the basis of which is her love of light, colour and abstract form. She is a full time quilt artist from Cardiff and more of her work can be seen here. The photo does not show how seamlessly these pieces are made or the depth of colour in the top stitching. Neither can you judge the scale but this piece measured about 5 feet x 4 feet and was very effectively mounted. Whilst quiltmaking on this scale is not my thing I can admire the technical skill and the colour sense displayed. It was definitely worth a visit.


2 comments:

Jill said...

You've done it again - discovered something very interesting. I can't help but be impressed by this colourful work. I need to get out more!
What do you do with your trapped moths? We did have some traps in our apple trees for coddling moths but they fly in summer - are you just ID-ing them? I am determined to learn the different bumble bees next summer so I can add the information to my bird count for BTO

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Jill,
My friends 'from away' think I live in a cultural desert down here in the sticks but there is so much going on that, like the Bethan Ash exhibition, you can almost come upon wonderful things quite by chance.
As to the moths, we trap them in a plywood box using a mercury vapour lamp. The following morning when they are dormant we identify and count them amd send the results to the county moth recorder who then collates the data and feeds it back to Butterfly Conservation. We release them the following night when they become active again and start the process all over again. Don't get me started on moths, I love them - great subjects for macro photography!