Tuesday, 29 December 2009

The year in pictures


We've got to that time of the year when all the newspapers and tv channels are doing a review of the past twelve months. This image was published and widely reported and it serves as a salutory reminder for me to keep saving my stamps to help save the future of the albatross. With the failures of Copenhagen still fresh in the memory this photo shows the progress that mankind has wreaked on the environment.
This Laysan albatross carcass was found in the Pacific Ocean. Mother birds fly to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch - an enormous floating vortex of plastic debris that has been brought together by ocean currents - and bring back what they think is food for their young. The chicks, which obviously cannot digest the plastic, often starve to death. About 80% of plastic debris in the ocean is discarded on land and kills more than a million seabirds each year.
Coupled with the 100,000 albatrosses killed every year by longline fishing, the fight to try and do our bit to save these beautiful birds has to be worth a try. At any time of the year your used British and foreign stamps can be sent to the RSPB and sold for this project. Read more here.
If you start keeping your stamps from now it will take a while to get a good size package to send. I send ours about four times a year but it's always a mega pack at this time of year because so many people save their Christmas card stamps for me, for which I am very grateful. All the RSPB need are the stamps with a small amount of envelope edging, separated into UK and foreign packs and sent to RSPB Stamps, PO Box 6198, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7 9XT.
I'll get off my soap box now and promise not to go on about this again. Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks to your earlier post I have a stamp collection going. And thanks for the address.

Bird in the House said...

Thanks for letting me know about this - I have a bundle of stamps looking for a home that I'll post off...

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

I am a RSPB junior member. We have been saving stamps at school to send for the Albatross campaign. I love birds and hate it when they are killed like this.
Lucy xx

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Thank you, you are all stars! I know there is the issue of having to pay to send them but I work on the premise that the RSPB get those stamps too. I ask the post office lady for stamps instead of the prepaid sticker and she knows me now so does it automatically. Thanks again.