Thursday, 17 December 2009

Talented friends, inspiring ideas


This year I have worked with three of my friends on a group project, the project being that we shared our skills and pushed each other to new levels of creativity, sometimes working outside of our comfort zone and trying new ideas. We've hit a bit of a hiatus at the moment but I have a cunning plan for next year..... won't reveal it in case they read about it and are too prepared.... One of these friends is the talented Lynda who sent me this little wire Christmas tree card. It is great. A simple idea, brilliantly executed and it reminded me of another of Lynda's ideas with cards.

Using her own photos, Lynda prints them on to inkjet transparency sheets, cuts them out and attaches them to her card. Now I'd printed out my reindeer idea and it didn't look right so I printed the image onto a transparency and attached them to a card. You can't see it from the photo but it works really well. What didn't work so well though was the way I attached it. Lynda used staples and I wanted a seamless look so used a glue stick.... and it fell off, so now I know why Lynda didn't go down this route. I had to resort to staples as I didn't have any double sided tape which was probably the better alternative. I know I should have waited until I got some tape but you know how it is when you have to finish something there and then! So, as this was not going to work I only made a handful and looked for cards I might have on standby to make up the numbers.

Last year I appliqued these fabric scraps onto cards , found them today and then run the sewing machine around the edge. Perhaps they work, perhaps they don't. My jury is out but in my head I can hear my Mum's voice asking me what they have to do with Christmas.....
I also found this group of felt cards I made a few years ago. They were very popular and I made and sold loads of them. Too late to start making them for this year so it will just have to be the reindeer (mind your fingers on those staples....) and the fabric squares or maybe Lynda has made too many Christmas trees and might let me have a few...


3 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

The simplest ideas are usually the best aren't they? Love that wire tree and the little felt ones too. The appliqued ones could be made more Christmass-y (if you don't think they are sufficiently so as they are) with the addition of some little beads/sequins/stickers/buttons or whatever perhaps? I like them as they srtand though.

It occurs to me that a bloggers project might be a good idea - I liked your idea of working on something as a team and inspiring each other with different ideas - maybe something to think about for next year? I know we enjoyed making something from our balls of wool in my Textile gang - see my posts for 5th and 25th October - and maybe we could organise something along similar lines for bloggers next year - would you be up for it?

Jane

Jill said...

Your friend's wire tree definitely has that 'naive' quality look, and I think your reindeer looks very classy - like the diatom snow. I can see I am just a beginner felter - just made some 'flat fish' to decorate a card ... the first 3D fish was definitely a result of beginner's - I won't say luck, but enthusiam. May be your applique cards can be used on other occasions. I'm up for a challenge next year too.

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Thanks for the feedback chaps. Count me in for a challenge next year. I don't know what form it might take but I'm game.