Tuesday, 15 December 2009

Mrs Darwin in Copenhagen

7 April 1852

Went to the Zoo
I said to Him -
Something about that Chimpanzee over there reminds me of you.


Although these words from Carol Ann Duffy's collection 'The World's Wife' usually make me smile when I read them, events in Copenhagen do not raise my spirits. The climate change summit in Copenhagen confronts us with our primal tragedy. We are the universal ape, shown by Darwin to have evolved into the amazing creatures we are today - but I despair in the news reports coming out of Denmark.

Part of me wants to bury my head in the sand and say 'I'll be long gone before things change for the worse' but that's just copping out of taking responsibility isn't it? That makes me as bad as the politicians jockeying for position and the best deal for their country regardless of the overall picture. I can't influence events in Copenhagen but I can deepen my resolve to keep doing my little bit for the planet every chance I get.

I don't think they will meet the deadline and come up with something they can agree on, let alone put into effect , but I hope with all my heart that I am wrong. Otherwise I'll begin to doubt whether we will ever evolve enough to meet the challenge.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I empathise with your feelings so closely, I switch off a light or empty my full recycling bin and then look at a floodlit tower block or the packaging that cannot be recycled or listen to the traffic on the motorway and wonder when are we all going take this seriously.