Tuesday, 15 December 2009

Spirits raised


Listening to the news about the climate change summit this morning put me in a reflective mood, hence the post about Copenhagen but after I finished it I sat down with a cup of tea, which is something which always help put the world to rights. Looking out of the window I saw this beautiful Song Thrush and grabbed the camera which is always nearby. There have been a couple of them about for a week or so now, rooting around in the garden, turfing over leaves and generally foraging. It's precisely for this reason that my husband cuts nothing in the garden down until the Spring. He leaves seed heads and dying foliage for the birds to take advantage of. I think they are so beautifully marked and love seeing them. It makes me feel I must live in a very special place if they also choose to come here.

Well, then the sun came out, I had the camera in my hand and the nuthatch came to one of the feeders to oblige me. I am equally enthralled by these little masked bandits. This year we have seen young ones but only get one or two at a time at the nut feeders. The squirrel helps them out by taking the lid off of the feeder and they then dive in while they can! They come back time and time again until they can't get their heads in far enough. After that they have to resort to pecking away at the mesh like the others.

I suddenly remembered that I had promised my sister in law some garden greenery to make her Christmas wreath. She saw the idea on 'Kirstie's Handmade Christmas' last week and had put in a request for holly, ivy, rosemary, evergreens and allium seedheads etc. So, I tramped around the garden with my secateurs as I have to go to Bristol tomorrow and she will be at my Mum's house to collect it all. I sprayed a few seedheads myself with some gold spray paint. All of a sudden I felt a bit festive! Then I remembered I'm off for a tea party tonight with friends so I came in to make Cranberry and Pecan Muffins with Cinammon. Now I have the smells of Christmas spices to go with the smell of the rosemary. Thanks to the birds, the sunshine and being in the fresh air, my usual positive spirit has returned. Hooray!





3 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

What stunning photos! I also read your post about Copenhagen and I am with you all the way. However have you been watching that Tony Robinson programme about climate change? Make me wonder if perhaps things happen because they are supposed to - not that I don't still think we should be doing what we can of course but maybe just maybe in the bigger picture global warming isn't all our fault and maybe it is what is needed to reduce the world's population?! Meanwhile let's enjoy the wonders of nature like your birds and the sunshine (when it shines) and so on and accept what we cannot change.

J

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Jane,
You're probably right. If we ask ourselves 'Can we effect a change?' and the answer is NO then perhaps we should accept that whilst still keeping the faith with the simpler things of life. Haven't seen the Tony Robinson programme but will look out for it. Lesley

Jill said...

Love the bird pics. Haven't seen a nuthatch round here, but very pleased to have seen my first song thrush in the garden for at least three years!