This morning I was mesmerised by the sheer volume of starlings flying past. The stream of birds just went on and on, most heading back to the farm down the road I suspect. Some stopped off in the field next door as usual and it just seems the right time to share a poem I found the other day by Mary Oliver called 'Starlings in Winter':Clunky and noisy,
but with stars in their black feathers,
they spring from the telephone wire
and instantly
they are acrobats
in the freezing wind.
And now, in the theatre of air,
they swing over buildings,
dipping and rising;
they float like one stippled star
that opens,
becomes for a moment fragmented,
then closes again,
and you watch
and you try
but you simply can't imagine
how they do it
with no articulated instruction, no pause,
only the silent confirmation
that they are this notable thing,
this wheel of many parts, that can rise and spin
over and over again,
full of gorgeous life.
Ah, world, what lessons you prepare for us,
even in this leafless winter,
even in the ashy city.
I am thinking now
of grief, and of getting past it;
I feel my boots trying to leave the ground,
I feel my heart
pumping hard. I wait
to think again of dangerous and noble things.
I want to be light and frolicsome.
I want to be improbably beautiful and afraid of nothing,
as though I had wings.
5 comments:
Oh that's a lovely poem and aren't the starlings something! It's amazing how they do what they do without anyone of them calling out instructions (or so I imagine) Did you see the little piece about them on television recently I think it was on the One Show - they are truly amazing and so beautiful with their stippled feathers.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Jane
A beautiful poem. I loe starling they so pretty!!
Lucy xx
We have had so few starlings this year, last year they kept eating my fat balls, but this winter I only get an occasional single visitor. When I taught, great flocks would congregate on the school field outside my classroom window, and we would sometimes take a pause in our lessons to watch them, the children were always mesmerized by such a huge number of birds especially when they took to the air. Mary Oliver's poem captures the moment beautifully.
Mary Oliver writes so beautifully about birds -she really captures that freedom and movement ... I love the line 'I feel my boots trying to leave the ground'. I think we would all like to fly!
Like Jill I've rarely seen starlings this year - pity - they are lovely birds.
Jeanne x
I also saw the clip of the starlings on "The One Show"............. it was breathtaking and left us wondering which bird makes the decision to start the aerobatics off/change direction etc.......... Your poem above totally puts their actions into words.
Post a Comment