Monday, 1 February 2010

All hooked up


I have stopped rummaging in the BFI Archives because I've been rummaging and tidying in my cupboards instead. Mainly because I've been coming across an image in the newspapers and magazines in recent weeks that kept nagging at me. It was the photo of a coir door mat by weaver Roger Oates - a red heart on a black background. Now, it reminded me of a hooked rag rug that I started - I'm ashamed to say - over 10 years ago. The frame I was hooking it on has long since collapsed and fallen apart but the hessian is still good so I hauled it out of its hiding place. Here it is on my kitchen floor and, as you can see , I have not got very far in 10 years. The brighter heart in the middle was done on Saturday when we were snowbound here in Pembrokeshire again. It took about two hours and all the itchy bits all over my lap afterwards reminded why it has taken so long to do. I was scratching for a long while... I know... too much information. Anyway, it's now languishing on the side pleading to be finished or returned to its hiding place but if I put it back I might as well throw it away because I know I'll never finish it otherwise.

My style of working is quick and dirty with very little planning and even less ability. I cannot do one job without mentally wandering off into other territory. See, once I started on the tidying up I then cleared out all the beads and stuff I have, determined to get rid of things I know I'll never use.... but I found this silver heart and a couple of beads, a bit of ribbon and a fabric scrap which sort of said 'make into a brooch' ..so I did....

It was worse when I got to my button tins. I seriously cannot tidy these up because once you start you're reminded where you got them from, who you got them from, what ideas you had for them... and then I'm off again, sewing them onto card, printing on to them, making something that I think I could develop....
....but then, at the back of the cupboard, I found these paint charts from the DIY store and I stuck a lovely thrush on top that I'd cut from a ruined book. I placed a mount around because I wondered if there was an idea for a series of cards there too. I have loads of paint charts and lots of bird pictures... does it work I wonder?
I don't know.... what I do know is that I am not doing any more tidying up or clearing out. It is not good for my brain. It hurts from too much thinking!




8 comments:

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Thank you very much for your offer of beads!! My mum has emailed you and she says thank you as well. I just love beads!
You are very creative and imaginative with what you make. I like all of it and especially the bird with that unusual background.
Thank you again for the beads!!!
Lucy xx

Marigold Jam said...

I too love that bird and have also used those strips of paint colours that you pick up in the DIY stores for various crafting ideas.

I am so glad it isn't only me that flits from one thing to another like that. It is the making of something which inspires the idea for another which I can't wait to get started on. Not sure what the answer is or even if there is one. I love the rug and if you can finish it it will look good on that beautiful tiled floor. The brooch is also most attractive - well done you although I guess you would have preferred not to be confined to barracks this weekend?!

JAne

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Your creativity knows no bounds Lesley! I love rag rugs - they remind me of log cabins, American folk art and a cosy fire in the hearth! It may be worth persevering with it ...
The bow brooch is charming and the dear little thrush looks so sweet on his branch with those blue-greens in the background - a really novel idea especially when paint colours are given such imaginative names!

Jeanne x

Dan said...

Wow, it's like being a child with a dressing up box - so many things to try! I love your brooch, and I think your rag rug would look great on a wall, it's far too mice to be walked on. I hope you keep going with it, I'd love to see the finished result!
Best wishes
Dan

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Gosh, Thank you all for your positive comments. You've made me feel quite guilty that I was planning to ditch the rug! Perhaps I can put up with those itchy knees for a while longer.... as long as it's not for another 10 years! Lesley

Jill said...

I can only add that each of these projects definitely reflect your 'magic touch'. But your rug stirred my conscience. For some reason as a young teacher I invested rather a lot of my money on a large 'ready-cut' rug in beautiful 100% wool. It was stored half-done in the loft for many years. I could no longer really afford the wool and when I moved I dumped the lot - it still makes me feel a bit sick and it was probable more than 30 years ago!!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

The rug is lovely - you must finish it! Good luck.

menopausalmusing said...

Everything here is wonderful, but that brooch, oh that brooch!!!!

I recognise the trait of starting something and moving onto another and another, but it IS nice to stumble across old stuff from time to time and then get on and finish it.....