Friday, 12 February 2010

Bird Song?

The end of the month sees the start of an installation at the Barbican by French artist Celeste Boursier-Mougenot. It takes the form of a walk-through aviary for a flock of zebra finches, furnished with electric guitars and other objects. As the birds go about their daily rituals they create a unique soundscape.....

(Found via the BBC)

4 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

That's certainly a different kind of music! Would e worth seeing and aren't those birds lovely with their black and white tails and red beaks? I wonder what they think of the "noise" they make and whether or not they mind.

Jane

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Those zebra finches are beautiful. What an interesting concept, it seems to me that they almost have an inate sense of melody - the sound they created wasn't at all bad! I love the bit where they were bobbing up and down. Fascinating stuff Lesley.

Jeanne x

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Very modern way of making music! I like it :P
Lucy xx

Jill said...

Caged birds always make me uncomfortable, although I guess these have been caged for many generations. Can't make my mind up - but there is something appealing about them bobbing up and down, and the one struggling with the twig. Was he trying to make more noise or to jam it or just playing with a twig?