I had to pop in to Tenby this afternoon and thought I'd go via Manorbier, a village with a super beach, it's own castle and a wonderful 12th century Norman church dominating it from above. My friend lives here so I am a frequent visitor. There is something about St James' Church that I find very restoring and it is often empty, so, perfect for contemplation and to me, also a rich source of creative inspiration. These photos detail part of the painting that is in the roof above the main doorway. I have enhanced them as it is pretty faded in parts . I love the shapes and colours.
I can spend ages wandering around the churchyard. I am entranced by the imagery on the railings and headstones and drawn to the organic shapes of the mosses and lichens that have been there longer than I've been in existence. Like many small village churchyards, it is a special place. I am fascinated by the headstones and love looking at the names and dates inscribed on them. In truth, it is not only churchyards that interest ; I find cemeteries and war memorials equally wondrous things to look at.
7 comments:
How lovely - I love the sense of timelessness in old churches one's problems seem so insignificant in the greater scheme of things and those stones have seen it all before hundreds of times! I too have a collection of photos of lichen patterns on old stone - again speaking of years gone by and the y will be there still long after we are no more which I love.
It looks as though you had some sunshine there this afternoon? Love beaches in winter when they are deserted.
Jane
I photographed head stones at St Margarets at Whitby, the church next to the Abbey. Lots of the stones are totaly weathered away due to the sea spray and the wind, they are amazing.
You don't see the mosses and such like on them as they don't have a chance to start growing.
Susan
I love the old paintings and shapes the stone is carved into, but my favourite bit has to be the lychen on them!!!
Lucy xx
Delightful photographs, beautiful painting - love the first shot with its mushroomy shapes and the headstone with the little posy. There is something very restorative about a solitary walk especially with a camera which helps you connect the visual treasures around you.
Jill
A wonderful post Lesley, your photos are so evocative - I particularly like the one with fresh ivy trailing around the old stone... I love old churches, of which we have many here in East Anglia.
But this place, the hills rolling down to the sea and the wonderful view across the churchyard is magical, no wonder you love it so much.
Jeanne x
Breathtaking.............. I love Arnos Vale Cemetry in Bristol......... Lichen, Ivy, Brambles, lettering, stone carvings, history...... what is NOT to love in old Cemetries/Churches?
The photos in the post are very lovely! Thanks very much for sharing the beauty. Gloria
Post a Comment