Tuesday, 9 February 2010

Wellcome Images


If you have never looked through the image site of the Wellcome Foundation you have missed a rare treat. Under a Creative Commons Agreement in 2007 the thousands of scientific images they hold became freely available for educational, personal and not for profit use, as long as the source is acknowledged. For anyone interested in social as well as scientific history it is an image library packed with gems. It records the commonplace and the unusual such as photos of bearded ladies and Tyrolean giantesses of the 1930's. Every time I search it it's for something different. This is the first time I've looked at it since we've had bees so I had to search there and I found this great advertisement for honey throat lozenges. I love the fact that they are bee shaped! Imagine....
My interests fall into two clear areas. I look for interesting images that might spark my curiosity, tell me about something or someone I have never heard of before or provide some background for a collage and book idea. Primarily though, I look at advertisements and photos of a time just outside my own memory. It just happpens to be a period I find fascinating such as this wartime poster looking for nursing staff. I can just about remember when nurses - or usually 'Sister' - wore those starchy caps...
... and I couldn't resist posting this... these ladies are exercising in an ante-natal class in 1955. Now I can admire their foundatiion garments given their personal circumstances but can anyone enlighten me as to why they're wearing those masks? Perhaps they didn't want to be recognised...
If you have an inclination to the curious and interesting take a look here. You will be well rewarded.

6 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

As always a fascinating and intriguing post Lesley. I too remember nurses wearing uniforms like that with stiff starched hats and squeaky black lace up shoes! I wonder about those masks too and why are they kneeling like that unless they are practising some sort of breathing exercise? I wonder if there are any bloggers of their age who might see your post and enlighten us.

Jane x

Reading Tea Leaves said...

I had no idea there was such an agreement - another enlightening post Lesley. No doubt those ladies really didn't want to be recognised in such an unladylike pose!

I love the packaging for the honey bee throat lozenges!

Jeanne x

sarah said...

Oh my goodness.. it is early here and I have to keep my laughing quiet as to not wake the kids.. I love your humor!!!!!!!!!! THis is hilarious.

Chrissie said...

Perhaps they were all big 'Lone Ranger' fans .... Hi Ho Silver, Away!

I love your felt bag and concertina book, by the way.

menopausalmusing said...

Your posts are so FASCINATING! The bee lozenges are super, aren't they?

Jill said...

The Wellcome website certainly looks as if it may hold as many treasures as your shed! And I am sure those ladies' pelvic floors must be frightfully strong! Perhaps they are the mothers of potential Super Heroes.