Friday, 5 February 2010

Recycled Hearts and Flowers


The other week I bought a wool and alpaca men's jacket in a charity shop and posted a couple of pictures of it. I have finally stripped it down to the best pieces and made something of them. I have enough left to make another small bag and maybe some small items like needlecases and the like but the main piece from the back was used to make this bag. I used the jacket lining to fully line the inside of the bag so it has all been recycled.
I added a magnetic catch and I did buy the trim because I fell in love with it and then appliqued the heart in the middle of what my friend is calling my 'ring a ring a rosy bag'. The photo makes my sewing look more naff than it does in real life (honest). Now, of course, I shall not use the thing as it is just not my style but the urge to recycle and conjure up something new is a compulsion I cannot resist. Anyone out there want to make a style statement for Valentine's Day?

8 comments:

Dan said...

Wow what a gorgeous bag! And what a great idea. I love the way you make something into an item completely different from its original purpose! Reading your blog always makes me want to have a go at things, whether its notebooks from wallpaper or bags from old coats. Sadly though, I can't sew for toffee, recent attempts have proven I'm no better at it than I was at school...
Best wishes
Dan
-x-

Marigold Jam said...

I'd been going to ask if you had done anything with that lovely green jacket and WOW it's great!

I do so agree with Dan and I too want to try out your ideas - your blog is truly inspirational!

Jane

Jill said...

This looks wonderful - I don't know about you, I have loads of bags these days, but they are irresistible. What do you do with all the things you make that are not your style? Do you give them to friends or donate them back to the charity shop or have your own sale?

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Thank you so much for these lovely comments. I really struggle to fall in love with my own work. To me it's never quite what I imagine it to be when I start out. From someone who used to run assertiveness courses I can be sometimes very non assertive! I should find the confidence perhaps to try and sell my things. To answer your question Jill, I usually put them away in a box never to see the light of day again or give them away. Once I've made them my interest has passed. I'm happy to show them online though and delight in your comments. Thanks again. Lesley.

menopausalmusing said...

It's absolutely gorgeous........... (wrote the woman with drawers stuffed full of stuff that would never see the light of day after she had made it all). Uncanny resemblance to myself in that post. I love the trim on the bag.

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

That is such a good recycling idea and the two colours contrast nicely. Look forward to seeing more of your lovely handmade creations!!!
Lucy xx

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Your ability to recycle things is inspirational Lesley - I love this bag and would happily step out with it on my arm!

Have a lovely weekend. Jeanne x

sarah said...

Cuuuute! Look at you sew.. wow. I wish I could sew better.
Have a good weekend with your ring a ring a rosy new bag.