Thursday, 4 February 2010

Koumpounophobia


Koumpounophobia is the unlikely name of a fear of buttons, something I seem to possess the opposite of. As someone who loves rootling through the button tin and picking up old cards of them when I can find them it is hard to believe that they represent frightening, dirty and ugly things to one in 75,000 of us. It is a topic that has caught the imagination of textile artist Penny Leaver Green and whilst in Bristol yesterday I managed to vist her Button Phobia exhibition at Harvey Nichols.

Using antique linens and wonderful buttons Penny has taken comments from online forums by sufferers as well as the reactions to questions about buttons by an old school friend and translated them into these exquisite art textiles. I found the comments to each piece fascinating and it is startling to read how some people's phobia began. One man's lifetime disgust of buttons began when a tin of buttons was tipped over him accidentally in a classroom when he was very young. Things like that always make me wonder over the way a chain of events evolve over many years.
I first saw Penny's work a couple of years ago after reading about it in an article. At the time she was about to have an exhibition at the WWT in Slimbridge so we went to see it as birds and textiles together are a 'must see' for me. I loved the work, especially the way Penny writes with her sewing machine. I wish I could do that! This is a favourite image of my favourite bird and if you want to read more about Penny have a look here at her website. The button phobia pieces are on display at Harvey Nicks until 28th February.





4 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

You always find such interesting things to post about! This exhibition sounds really intriguing and I must try and get to Bristol before the end of the month to see it. I certainly wish I could write with the sewing machine like that too. Another fascinating post thanks for sharing.

Jane x

Jill said...

I agree, fascinating, and I am sure some of those white buttons are like the ones Jane sent me in her give-away. I notice that although Penny can write with her sewing machine she seems to have avoided BUTTON HOLES!

Chrissie said...

I've been following Penny's blog and seeing her Flickr photos and have found it fascinating - how lucky you are to have made it to the exhibition!

menopausalmusing said...

Oh, oh oH! I missed this post of yours, but just spotted it in/on my dashboard. I think I must try and get to this exhibition. I can't imagine being scared of buttons.....

I can, however, imagine being scared of Harvey Nics.............. but I shall just have to overcome the phobia!