Thursday, 4 February 2010

On short rations

My husband was reading a magazine tonight which had an article about sugar rationing during the war in Britain. As all beekeepers know, sugar is needed at key times of the year to make a syrup to feed the bees and keep the hive going. When sugar was rationed beekeepers were given an extra 10lbs of sugar a year but to make absolutely sure it went to the bees and not the black market it was all dyed green! Imagine that stirred into your morning cuppa.

The whole issue of rationing then reminded me of this little film I saw the other day. It has to be the last of the gems I found in the BFI archives. It caught my imagination because I would have liked to have been a child as bright as Sally but think I am a natural Jane. To this day I still cook cabbage like she does.....

4 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

What memories that little film revived! I remember greens being cooked for much longer than I would do it now and it was not uncommon to add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda to keep them green! No wonder cabbage got such a bad name! How times change!

I remember rationing too and I went to a fancy dress party aged about 9 as "Off the Ration" with my dress covered in "sweets" made from the empty wrappers though quite where they came from I don't know unless we'd saved them up for weeks! Sweets were the last thing to be rationed I believe.

Jane

menopausalmusing said...

Jane whispers to Sally: "Nobody likes a smart-arse" and kicks her under the table..........

What a hoot! Loved the little boys wearing ties to play out in......

Keep 'em coming Lesley!

sarah said...

Holy cow. That is so interesting! Green sugar. Thanks for sharing that.. just read it again to my hubby. Love this world of blogging and learning.

Have a good weekend.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

That's a classic Lesley! Those wartime public information films seem so sensible - I can imagine people really sat up and took note.

Loved the little boys playing out in their shirt and tie. I think I was probably a Jane to my sister's Sally - although I do steam my veggies now!

Jeanne x