Sunday, 7 February 2010

Sidetracked....


A few weeks ago I was having a browse in a curtain fabric shop in Bristol. Now I know I don't need any more fabric but it never hurts to have a look.... anyway, I got chatting to the lady who owns the shop and I was telling her about the sewing I do for Combat Stress using remnants and whatever I can get hold of to make things to sell to raise money. To cut a long story short she gave me a huge bag of stuff she was trying to get the rag merchants to take without success. It was literally a real mixed bag and there was this piece of sheer, chiffon type of fabric included. I was going to throw it away but today, I was getting on with my shed spring clean and found this black hessian...
Now I bought this as many years ago when I started the rug I posted about last week (and yes, I have done some already, so I'm still going strong...) and I got to thinking about laying a sheer fabric on top of it and making a bag using the two fabrics together. I thought the bag could be unlined being hessian but I forgot the issue of fraying so had to abandon this idea and eventually put a black poly cotton lining in it. I turned the hessian over at the top to capture the chiffon and found a couple of pink strips in the bag she gave me, so, made these handles too, which I had to attach to the outside. It didn't turn out too bad and might be an idea worth revisiting with a large chiffon scarf and some natural coloured hessian maybe?

As the sewing machine was on the table I decided to finish the second bag cobbled together from the man's jacket from the charity shop. I used the two fronts, stitched the pockets together and added a long handle and the last few roses from the trim I bought. I really enjoyed trying to recycle this jacket into something else, but I'd started the day with a mission to get on with my clear out and got sidetracked on the way, so I went back to my original task....

I found a couple of collaged books I am now inspired to finish, a large piece of handmade felt that I made to produce a carpet bag with... and this little chap....
I made him a few years ago from handmade felt and I needled mohair locks from a friend's angora goats into one side to make him all fluffy. I used to use it as a sample in felt making workshops but no-one was ever inspired enough to make one of their own after realising how long it might take. I'd forgotten all about him and found him at the bottom of a crate. Of course then I got sidetracked rummaging through more old projects.... the shed is still a mess and I need more hours in the day!


5 comments:

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Wow I wish I could sew like that!! It all looks so profesional and unique. You always know what goes together well!!
Lucy xx

Jill said...

How I would love to have a rummage in that shed too!! What a treasure house! Keep uncovering these gems.

Marigold Jam said...

That's life -we start on one job only to get sidetracked and go off in another direction altoghether! However I think your bags are so lovely that the shed comes a very poor second! That little felted dog is so cute too - how could you leave him in a box like that!!

Jane

menopausalmusing said...

I loved the little bag with the roses .... and the dog is adorable! I'm with the others... we want to see more.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Your bags look so professional Lesley - you really should think about selling them, perhaps via a webpage? I love the chiffon one, an inspired idea from just a piece of material that previously had no use.

You quietly mention Combat Stress - do you take workshops there? Nothing gets past me!!

Jeanne x