Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Let's hear it for the Shrill Carder Bee


The UK used to have 27 species of bumblebee but three are now extinct and six others are seriously under threat. The Shrill Carder Bee (Bombus sylvarum) is the next specimen of bumblebee likely to become extinct. It gets its name from its reputation for having a particularly high-pitched buzz. It is clinging on in a few areas but needs help and this has come along in the form of the 'Live for the Outdoors' website which has just announced the results of an online poll it has recently run for the most worthy eco-project of 2010. From a drawn up list of 6 excellent plans, the project with the most votes has won funding of 30,000 Euros from the EOG Association for Conservation.
It has just been announced that it has been won by the Bumblebee Conservation Trust Pembrokeshire Path project and I am so thrilled that it has done so. Pippa Rayner, the conservation officer explains what they will be doing :
" We will be creating a wildflower-rich habitat to support rare bumblebees along a new 10km path in the Pembrokeshire National Park. By connecting key sites, this attractive route through spectacular scenery will help prevent the national extinction of the shrill carder bee.
The project will benefit lots of other wildlife too; Wales, like the rest of the UK, has lost most of its wild flower grasslands, so creating and restoring these habitats will benefit the plants, butterflies, bees, birds and other beasties that depend upon them.
It will also create a lovely place to walk, with flowers and bumblebees along the path that takes walkers, horseriders and cyclists through areas that were previously inaccessible, thanks to the new route provided by the MOD"
The project won by a significant margin I think and whilst my vote didn't sway it one way or another, at least it counted. I shall be following this one with great interest and really hope it will be a success and halt the decline of another of these important pollinators.
If you want to find out more have a look at the website for the Bumblebee Conservation Trust.
(Images from Google images)

7 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

I wasn't expecting to see a post from you for a few days so was pleased to have my "fix" of your usual brand of interesting/intriguing posts. I am pleased about the new funding for the Pembrokeshire Coast path and will look forward to walking some of it when I next visit your beautiful part of the world. I haven't had a dose of Welsh magic for some years now and feel the need to visit my friend in the Presellis. Hope all goes well with you and yours.

Jane

Jill said...

Alongside garden bird counts the BTO Garden Bird Watch scheme offers the opportunity to submit bumble bee (along with butterflies and other bees & insect) counts. It is my aim to be able to identify the species of bumble bee and other solitary bees that visit our garden this summer, many are very similar but there are quite a lot of good ID charts about.
The Pembrokeshire Coast path project looks excellent, let us hope it is able to be taken up else where too.

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

I am a member of the Bumblebee Conservation Trust and I also voted for this project!!!!! I am so excited that they have won!!!! Last summer we took loads of photos of bees and I like bees so much !!!
Lucy xxx

menopausalmusing said...

We had huge amounts of bees last year. My other half kept bees until a couple of years ago (maybe three now) when they swarmed time after time and I grew scared to go down the garden. They were taken (sadly, at my request) to a local beekeeping club and auctioned off to raise funds, so at least I know they went to caring homes. I feel so awful about it since I had thought I could finally cope with his having bees. (He loves the things ).I had been able to cope with buzzing round my ears and actually stand right next to the hives and watch the activity. (On one occasion I was able to don the hat with net, stand next to him and watch the hive being opened up). (I had had a terrible phobia of things buzzing round my head since I was a toddler and my grandmother had wheeled my pushchair over a wasps' nest in the ground and burst it, resulting in me being really badly stung all over the face, head and hands). However, I plant the garden with flowers aplenty for the bees, but I do rather miss going down and looking at the behaviour of the clever little creatures. The different behaviour in different weathers was fascinating. Next door has a cherry tree which houses bees in a hold in the trunk so it is interesting to watch their comings and going too. I am so glad this project has got funding.

sarah said...

What a cute fuzzy little fellow. I want to pick it up and rub it on my cheek it looks so soft. Maybe that would be going just to far :)Yes.. most likey I would get stung.

Great info here. I am going to check out that link, it sounds like a great one!

sarah said...

The link appears to be broken.. just to let you know. It could be my computer as well.. it does have it's own way.

thelma said...

Favourite creatures bumble bees, used to grow all types of flowers for them. One thing to remember as well at this time of year when they come out to feed, is that the early morning cold will incapacitate them, pick them up gently and take them indoors. Watery honey dribbled on a tissue or cotton wool will revive them, watch their long tongues drink greedily; Its a good idea to put them in a box, even though they get furious after revival, at least you don't have to chase round the kitchen after them to let them out....